There has been horse racing at Thirsk Racecourse for over 150 years and locally the history of the sport can be traced back even earlier. From the 1600s horse racing took place some 5 miles away on a plateau 1000 feet high atop the Hambleton Hills on a natural racecourse second in importance to Newmarket. The main annual event was for the Royal Gold Cup, a trophy donated by the crown, and although written records show it was run from at least 1715 it is believed it may have started considerably earlier as a celebration of the restoration of Charles II in 1660. By 1776, in part due to the remote location, racing moved from Hambleton to York, though the turf course has remained in use for training purposes.
Here are a few photographs of the action from the other day: