Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘Culross Palace’

Once a bustling port on the banks of the Firth of Forth and a busy centre for salt panning, mining and girdlemaking in the 17th and 18th centuries, Culross is now Scotland’s most complete example of an ‘ancient burgh’. However, it is not a museum; it is a community where people live and work. Old cobbled streets and alleyways such as Tanhouse Brae, Back and Low Causeway, Kirk Street, Slate Loan and Sand Haven lead you past the Mercat Cross, Culross Palace, Town House and many more 17th and 18th century cottages and houses.

 

Culross Palace – despite the name the ‘palace’ was not a royal residence but an early 17th century house built in for a wealthy merchant, Sir George Bruce, an industrialist and mining engineer who revolutionised the local mines.

 

 

 

The Town House – built in 1626 and where the town council met until the mid 1970s,

was previously used as a tollbooth, debtors’ prison,

and where once witches were imprisoned in the attic.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Study – built in 1610 and so called after Bishop Leighton of Dunblane

who used the room as a study on his visits to Culross and the Abbey.

 

 

 

 

 

 

And finally; Culross has featured as a film set, an ‘extra’ in such films as Kidnapped, The 39 Steps, Captain America: The First Avenger and Outlander.

 

Words and photographs Copyright © 2018 by Antony J Waller

Read Full Post »

%d bloggers like this: